Miscellaneous support materials for clinicians and descriptions of clinical techniques. See also bookmarks: medicine.
Current research studies active in CPFT
Current research studies active in CPFT, taken from the East Anglia MHRN list and the UKCRN database.
Do not attempt these without experience or expert supervision!
Practical review sites, textbooks, diagnostic reminders
Clinical evidence review sites
Society guidelines (external links)
- UK NICE clinical guidelines
British Society for Haematology:
- haemato-oncology guidelines (including the management of Waldenström's, myeloma, AML, CLL, amyloidosis, care following splenectomy or with a dysfunctional spleen, and on long-term venous access devices);
- general haematology guidelines (polycythaemia, spherocytosis, aplastic anaemia, ITP, sickle cell disease, haemoglobinopathies, malaria);
- haemostasis and thrombosis (IVC filters, warfarin, heparin, HIT, DVT, MAHA, thrombophilia);
- transfusion (blood loss; antibody testing in pregnancy; use of FFP, cryoprecipitant, red cells, platelets, irradiation).
- British Thoracic Society guidelines, including asthma, air travel, COPD, parenchymal lung disease, diving, lung cancer, mesothelioma, pleural disease, NIV, mycobacteria, pneumonia, PE, SARS, smoking cessation, TB, influenza.
- Joint British Societies Cardiovascular Risk Assessor software
- Resuscitation Council of the UK
- List of colleges and speciality societies (from the JCHMT).
- British Association for Psychopharmacology (has guidelines on psychotropics under "Consensus Stmts").
Drug and poison references
Liver disease prognosis
- Fully referenced. Calculates Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) scores (Malinchoc et al., 2000, with modification by UNOS). Calculates Glasgow Alcoholic Hepatitis Score (GAHS) (Forrest et al., 2005). Calculates Childs-Pugh score/grade. Calculates modified discriminant function (after Sheth et al., 2002; Maddrey et al., 1978). Predicts survival after transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting (TIPS) based on MELD (Malinchoc et al., 2000). Predicts survival in alcoholic hepatitis based on MELD (Sheth et al., 2002). Predicts survival in alcoholic hepatitis based on GAHS (Forrest et al., 2005). Predicts survival after liver transplantation (after Thuluvath et al., 2003). Predicts survival after liver transplantation (after Lewsey et al., in press 2005). Calculates UKELD score.
For PDF format, click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free;
Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, also usable with OpenOffice.